Friday, October 20, 2006

Caribbean Blues with Santaria, 1

Knock... Knock... Knock...

I awoke with a jolt. As if an elephant landed on top of me, my eyes flew open. I glanced groggily at the door and lifted my cell phone from the headboard. I checked the time, 9:05 am, scratched my head, groaned “Uhm, hangover, and shut my eyes again.

KNOCK… KNOCK… KNOCK…

Again, I opened my eyes, checked my phone which s now resting on my chest. 9:32 am. I went back to dreamland.


KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

Once more, I was awakened by the barrage of knocks at my door. I picked up my cell phone, which is now lying on the floor, and checked the time, 9:46 am. “Man! It’s still early.” I muttered to myself.

I closed my eyes again, and hoped the knocks would just go away. But before Mr. Sandman could sprinkle the dust, I was again bombarded with louder knocks.

“What do you want!?” I yelled in a very exasperated tone.
“Lyle!? Naa ka dinha? (
Are you there?)” a dorm mate’s voice inquired.

“Of course you jerk! It’s room Sp1a! Now go away! Trying to sleep here!” I shot back. “Someone’s looking for you! And she’s been sitting in the sala for almost an hour now!” he replied. “Tell her I’m still asleep! Away nakog tuktuka balik ha!” I said. irritably.

“LYLE!!!” another voice exclaimed, sending reverberations down the hallway. I’m certain it was a female voice. And it’s coming from the visitor’s lounge. “Gawas na dinha! (
Get outta there!)" My eyes swiftly fluttered open. It was her. She must’ve heard me.

Oh man! I thought. I’m dead! We were supposed to meet at the Luce Lobby an hour ago. I totally forgot.

(
to be concluded...)

No comments: