Sunday, October 22, 2006

Caribbean Blues with Santaria, 2

“Coming…” my voice shifted from irritated to melodious. Quickly, I jumped out of my bed and scoured my face with a tissue so intensely my nose almost fell to the floor. I sprinted towards the door nearly smashing into my mountain of filthy laundry.

“Coming…” slamming the door behind me, I darted towards the sala.

And before I reached the opening of the passageway, I saw her. She was standing in the middle of the foyer, with arms interweaving with one another. With a harsh look on her face, she just stared at me with those piercing chinita eyes; the world suddenly stood still.


I panted as I reached my destination. She’s still motionless and did not utter a word. Instead, she flashed me that You-Jerk (!) look, with which I reciprocated with an embarrassed smile.

I stretched out my arms to give her a good-morning-hug. “Goooood Mooooor…”

“Dayon!? (And so!?)” She interjected with so much sarcasm, not letting me finish my greeting. Speedily I drew my arms back. Clearly she was not delighted.

“Unsa man? (What now?)” She asked in a very cold tone, I just froze.
“Aaahh…” my voice quivered. No words came out, my throat clogged up.
I cleared my gullet, “Ahem” and feigned a cough “Cough, cough!”
Her right eyebrow instantly went through the ceiling; she hated it whenever I go cough-cough.

“Soooohhhriiiiihhhh…” in a sing-song voice, I managed to croak nervously.
“Abre nang Memento! Kaligo! Pagdali! (Memento’s already open! Take a bath! And fast!)” She snapped back. And at lightning speed, I ran back in.


* * *

To My Santaria, one of my few reasons why waking up every morning is still worthwhile. Thanks for adding brightness into my otherwise desolate life. We may be miles apart, but you are still here … deep inside my *points to chest* Keep singing, keep writing songs. I miss you. I’m coming back, soon. Wait for me… (3:52 a.m., awake and reminiscing…)

No comments: