Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bibliophiliac Misadventures, 1

I was sweating all over.

Tears threatened to spill at the sides of my eyes while I grinned from ear to ear. My heart was thumping so hard it almost jumped out of my chest. I felt my veins exploding all over me, “Pop! Pop! Pop!” And at that very moment, I thought I was going to face my Creator. “Take me Lord”, I said, “My journey’s over."

With the book pressed tightly against my chest, I heaved a sigh and closed my eyes. Then I heard a voice and felt a tap on my shoulder. “Sir?"

“God, is that you?” I answered. “Am I in heaven? Lord, don’t call me Sir. I am not worthy."

“Sir,” the voice called out to me once more, the tap seemingly harder. I opened my eyes, but my vision was hazy, all I can see were shades of red, and silhouettes of people encircling me. I rubbed my eyes and saw a very bright light. “This is it!” I said. “The light at the end of the tunnel!"

* * *

OH MY GAAAAD!

I screamed as I passed by National Bookstore. I hurriedly went inside, thrusting my small frame against the mass of people also trooping in the same direction. I shoved them aside, left and right, leaving them trading baffled looks at each other in my wake.

“Walang tolakan!” the guard exclaimed causing a young girl, drinking Coke, to laugh so hard, Coke shot right out of her nose. “Ay Bisaya si Manong…"

(to be concluded…)

No comments: