Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Address of Greatness, 3

Your Silliman education will never be complete if you haven't experienced Doltz. In Doltz, I have experienced things I know I wouldn't be able to experience anywhere else. Now I thank my mother for plotting my murder.

From the ridiculous 10 pm curfew time to the movie marathons; the boring Thursday-night devotions; the overpriced Pancit Cantons with Mountain Dews, smoking under the Doltz tree, learning the art of climbing walls, sneaking in barrels and barrels of Tanduay and Tequila, the almost monthly brawls, the relatively unappetizing cafeteria food, the dorm outings, the jamming sessions, the bonding, everything! I wouldn't trade them for the moon!

If there's one place that I truly call home (aside from my Dipolog), that's gotta be Doltz Hall, Silliman University, Dumaguete City. “Lan, kung ma-senador naka, bisita biya dinhi ha? (
Lan, if ever you become a Senator, pay us a visit okay?)” my dorm matron said, just before I left. “Dili diay ko! (Never!)” I replied jokingly.

And when I got out, tugging my maletas with me, I saw some of my “mats” (
dorm mates) smoking under the revered Doltz tree. “Mats, saon na man ni, laya na man ko!” (author's note: I dunno how to translate this, its bisayan slang or idiosyncrasy or something but i'll try it in Tagalog, roughly it's: Mats, so ana na? Laya na kasi ako.)

“Laya gud!? Saba dinha! Sigarilyo ta mats!” (
What's do you mean, laya? Tumigil ka nga, let's smoke instead!) Oliver said. “Bali! Mahawa na gali ko, pangayu-an pa jud kog cigarillo!” (Grabe naman kayo, aalis na nga, you’re asking for a smoke pa.) “Aw di ba, tinood ka?” (No seriously, are you sure?)

“Lagi,” (
Yeah.) I took out a stick and gave them the box. I savored the moment, my last time of smoking under “the tree.”

“Sige mats, adto nako, mularga na ang fastcraft.” (
So pano? I'm going na, the fastcraft will be departing any minute from now.) I bade them goodbye. “Di na jud ka kapugngan? Ayu-ayu na lang mats! Oi, imong yosi o!” (Hindi ka na talaga mapipigilan? Cge, ingat na lang. Oi, yosi mo!) said Samuel.

“Inyu-a na na!” (
No, just keep it!) I gave them the cig box. Kleine uttered, "Salamat el presidente (The author was dorm president for a year. Sob, sob.) “Dili” I said, “Thank you!” (No, thank you!)

I turned around and I heard one of them shout, “Mats, remember Doltz!”

Author’s Note: I apologize for my deficient Tagalog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Left Doltz in October 2002. Enjoyed every moment in this dorm despite the asshole residents outnumbering the nicer ones.