Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sinking in Bottomless Mush, 1

Now people, let’s first set aside those broken bottles and acid; this entry's fuelled not just with sunshine and lemonade, but teddy bears and cute bunnies as well. Well, not entirely. And now, get ready for something so mushy you’ll die of diabetes just by reading it.

Ever wondered how simple words brighten up your day? (I told you this is pretty mushy!) How a simple “Thank You” from total strangers is more than enough to make up for the day’s stress. (Okay, now barf!) And how a simple smile goes with it compensates for everything. (Geez-sus!)

(Brace yourself!)

My parents taught us that when you take public transport and there’s an old lady standing, whatever her social status might be, you have to willingly give out your seat. And not just ancient folks, but the handicapped, too.

I was on my way to a meeting one day, hurrying. Since it was rush hour, it’s a gimme that traffic would be unbearable. From the office at the Ortigas Center, I took a cab to the Shaw Boulevard station, which is just a ten-minute ride, and from there, I hopped aboard the train to the Ayala station.

For those who are regular visitors of this blog, I’m sure you know for a fact that I hate trains – my theatres of war!

But that day was different; it was an exception. I was thirty minutes late for an appointment, so I had to avoid whatever delay. The meeting was at 4pm and I arrived at the MRT station at 4:35. I’d rather be dead inside that string-of-boxes-that-runs than be murdered by my client … and my boss.

Strike 1: On my way down the elevator, halfway through, I realized that I’ve forgotten the papers which were very crucial for my deliverance. I came out on the sixth floor and took another elevator to the nineteenth – the office. I checked my time; it was 4:10pm.

Strike 2: Grabbed my coffee at the Seattle’s Best ground floor. I was so much in a hurry that I forgot my change … and the sugar! But no biggie, I don’t have any problems drinking sugar-less brew. I lined up at the taxi bay outside, and when my turn for the next cab arrived, I realized that yet again I forgot the friggin’ papers! T’was 4:20.

(to be concluded…)

No comments: