Thursday, January 11, 2007

Bibliophiliac Misadventures, 2

As soon as I crossed the threshold of the bookstore, I repeated my battlecry, “OH MY GAAAAD!”

I ran towards the book stacks and hugged the book I've been desperately searching for!


“Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God!"

It took me more than 10 minutes to calm myself down. And when my Oh-My-God’s subsided, I began shrieking again, “OH MY GAAAAD!"

People stared at me as if I were a raving lunatic. Some made hurried phone calls and spoke in hush tones. I surmised they were calling the mental hospital to repost a patient-on-the-loose.

“The hell!” I muttered, under my breath.


* * *

Once again, I felt a tap. “Huh?” I groaned. Then came another one, a much harder one. As if on cue, my eyes fluttered open.

Silhouettes, which I thought were outlines of angels, transformed into faint images of people. The blinding light, which I assumed was the portal to eternity, changed into – gasp! – fluorescent bulbs!


For several seconds I didn’t have any idea where I was, or how I got there. It was scary. “Am I in … the underworld?! Then my vision became clear. “Flying F*ck!” The realization smacked me right on the head, I almost passed out.

“Sir!" With the book still pressed tightly against my body, I turned around to see who h been slapping my shoulder. Shoot! It was not God, but an irate employee of the bookstore, glowering at me with that fierce glint in his eyes.

“Sir!? Is there anything I can help you with?” he spoke with a harsh tone in his voice. Clearly he was not pleased. “Huh? … Oh! … Ah … No, thank you, I’m alright.” I said, still befuddled over what had transpired.

(to be concluded…)

No comments: