Friday, January 12, 2007

Bibliophiliac Misadventures, 3

“I mean, are you taking the book?” Emphasizing the last word and looking rather sarcastic, he pointed to the book I was still embracing.

“Oh? Oh the book!” I loosened my grip and held it up for everyone to see. “Yes, I’m taking it.” And without saying anything, he snatched the book from my clutches and gestured me to the cashier.

For a second there, I had an impulse to pounce at him and rip his living heart out! And hold the throbbing, bloody mess aloft for the nosy customers to see, sending a message to everyone not to mess with the dog’s book! However I restrained myself.

“But I think I can manage. Besides, the book doesn’t weigh a ton and I promise I won’t be lost on the way to the cashier. Thanks for the concern, though.” I grabbed the book back, flashed my best smile, and walked away. “How rude!” I muttered. “How dare you deal with The Melancholic Mutt like that!?"

And I read happily ever after. The end.

* * *

It’s actually a very long story, with several episodes.

Such as “Back and Forth: My Journey to the Cashier” and “To Buy Or Not to Buy … Or Not to Eat for a Week”, and includes the critically-acclaimed drama “Alms, Spare Me Piece of Bread” which tells the tale of a young man desperately scavenging for food, for he spent his whole week’s allowance on a book that, rationally, is not worth its price tag.

Inspired by a true story, this book chronicles the adventures of the Melancholic Mutt in the kingdom called National Bookstore at the Empire of Shangri-la. Critics say “A must-read!”, “Better than ‘Jack & Jill Sat on the Wall!’”, and “Same caliber as ‘The Faggot Spider: Insie Winsie And his Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.'"

Grab a copy NOW! Proceeds will be donated to the newly-established and UN-recognized Coffeeteria International Co.

No comments: