Monday, November 13, 2006

So, You're .. uh .. Filipino? (P.2)

People always come up to me (sometimes they stop me, like in the aforementioned story) to inquire if I’m Burmese, Malaysian, Indonesian, Singaporean, or Thai. The first time I encountered the question, I just laughed at it and coolly said “Dili (No)”.

So I can pass for a foreigner huh. Then came the second, still I was fascinated. Then came the third, dismissing it as mere coincidence; having three different people, on three different occasions, in three different cities.

When the fourth came, I began to wonder if these people were blind, or just nuts. Fifth time, I was beginning to suspect that I was on Just For Laughs (or its Filipino equivalent, Wow Mali.) Five times, it’s alright. But more than 10 times!? (Yes, I keep track.)

More than ten times; more than ten different individuals on more than ten different occasions in more or less 4 different cities, I’m beginning to wonder if I’m really Filipino, or some clumsy nurse switched me in the nursery when I was an infant.

(to be concluded...)

No comments: