Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Attack of the Coffee Monster, 2

“Grande Drip for here, please."
“Would there be anything else, Sir? Something to eat?” the male barista offered.

“No, thank you. Just coffee.”
“That’d be a hundred bucks, Sir.”

“Sir?” he continued. “Are you from the Ortigas area?”
“Yes, why?” I answered, a bit puzzled.

“Kaya pala hindi ka na pumupunta dun Sir, we wonder if you’ve already shifted na.” The female barista who was manning the other counter interjected.
Then I remembered them; they’re the baristas at the Megastrip branch.

“Oh. *soft laugh* Nag-transfer na pala kayo dito?”
“Borrowed lang Sir, kulang kasi dito sa Greenbelt. Balik-balik naman kayo dun.” he said smilingly.

“Oi, he’s our frequent costumer. Di ba Sir?” Another barista chimed in, speaking in a mock-angry tone.
“Hindi kaya, mas frequent kaya si Sir dun sa’min.” the second barista declared.

“Can I have my coffee now? Or pupunta na lang akong Starbucks?” I said. They laughed. I was serious.

Then the second barista produced me a humongous mug of boiling coffee, filled to the brim. Honestly, I was a bit flattered. I’ve never seen anyone being served with that huge mug before, only with those paper cups.

“Whoa! Laki naman,” I said embarrassed, it was more than what I’ve paid for.
“Thank you.” I smiled.
“Anything for our valued customers. Enjoy your coffee.”

I went outside and settled myself into one of their rather uncomfortable chairs. As I was reveling in my semi-celebrity-ness among the barista circle, white urbanite monkeys were yakking behind me.

“Akshally, it’s like this kase, you know, like, I made para this taxi, and when I made sakay, Oh my gosh, the driver was like, sooo mabaho.” Then a collective expression of disgust ensued, endless annoying “ewww-ing” filled the air.

I had this sudden overwhelming urge to make buhos my coffee over their like swollen heads, but I made pigil my sarili. Why? Bekuz, like you know, its so sayang naman this coffee.

Authors Note: I’ve just learned that they serve it in a mug upon request. But I didn’t make a request, in fact I was a bit cranky at that time since my blood-to-coffee ratio not stable yet. Still, I was grateful. Thanks Starbucks! Uh, I mean, Seattle’s Bucks. Oh, Seattle’s Best.

No comments: