Monday, November 20, 2006

Of Peanuts and Mementos, Part 1

One sun-drenched afternoon at the Megastrip’s Seattle’s Best, while I was reading a Coelho book (The Devil and Miss Prym);

“Uh, excuse me? Can I have a light?” a female voice rang.


“Sure.” I replied feebly, my eyes still glued to the pages of my book.


Sensing that the lady has not yet touched the lighter, I picked it up and handed it to her.


“Here…” I offered and looked up from my book. Take it, you’re bothering me!


She let out a gasp upon seeing my face, knitted her perfectly-plucked eyebrows, and flashed a perplexed grin.


“Yes?” I queried. What now, lady!?


“I know you!” she exclaimed. Oh yeah? Finally, I thought, someone noticed my hidden handsome-ness!
Do you want to have my autograph or something?


“I know you!” Obviously! Duh! What do you want lady!? Can’t you see I’m trying to read here!? If you want to have my autograph, just say so and get on with it!


“I know you!” You don’t have to repeat it. I’m not deaf!


“Excuse me?” (Honestly, I was astonished!)


“I know you! I’ve seen you somewhere before!” Of course you did (sarcastic tone)
, before you so crudely interrupted my reading!


She rolled her eyes heavenwards, like a student being asked to explain Einstein’s Law of Relativity.
Know what, you can just take the lighter. I have loads of ‘em. You don’t have to pretend to know me to just borrow my lighter!”


"Oh yeah!" she shrieked exultantly, as if she discovered the antidote to some incurable disease.

“Momento, isn’t it? You were that adorable (according to her) barista at Momento!” in a tone that could only be
employed when showing affection to kitties and little doggies. “Nice kitty-kitty...


“I’m sorry Miss, you’re mistaken. I’m not from Caloocan (Monumento).”


“No, Momento Dumaguete! You’re the barista, right?”


(to be concluded..) cafe memento

No comments: