Tuesday, November 14, 2006

So, You're .. uh .. Filipino? (P.3)

When I was still in Silliman U, I had this report on Japanese literature. Halfway through my presentation, I noticed these two giggling girls in the front row. When one girl says “jiyehp-niiis” the other would reply “li-ri-chr” and they’d burst into quiet laughter again.

I wondered what the commotion was all about. So being the semi-chismoso that I was, I pranced around the room while giving my lecture in hopes of uncovering the mystery behind the giggles.

The first girl would go, “The JIYEHP-niis LI-ri-chr is the blah-blah-blah. The blah-blah is one of most important blah-blah of JIYEHP-niis LI-ri-chr. JIYEHP-niis LI-ri-chr.” propelling the second girl to snigger. They were unaware of my presence, that I was near, that I could hear them. And then at the exact moment the first girl said, “Taga-asa diay na cya!? OA pud!” our eyes connected.


I was looking at her, she was looking at me. Then I realized they were mimicking (and making fun of) me. JIYEHP-niis LI-ri-chr = Japanese Literature. Who was more embarrassed? I don’t know, I think Miss Jiyehp-niis, because she lowered her eyes first.


But I didn’t want to embarrass her so I just pretended I didn’t understand what she said and continued with my lecture. “The Jiyep-neez end thu Cha-neez went ta Astraya ta kill sum Bri-ish chi-kuhns!” (The Japanese and the Chinese went to Australia to kill some British chickens!)


(to be concluded...)

No comments: