Saturday, December 02, 2006

So Freakin' What!? (Part 1)

One of my weird obsessions is listening to my voice, not the singing voice but the normal voice. I admit I do not own the most pleasant voice in the entire macrocosm, but it’s a compulsion I can’t do without.

Recording it and playing it back all over again gives me some sort of “pleasant disgust.” When it comes to my voice, I am my number fan, and also the one who hurls tomatoes towards the face.

I’m currently attending two schools at the moment; and you know the drill when you’re the “fresh meat” in class, they would demand an introduction from you as if it would kill them if you wouldn’t. So I conceded.

I have the worst case of stage-fright; I would shiver in front of people, slurring and all. I would let out words so fast, it would leave the audience wondering if it was Russian or Chinese.

But thankfully, my stage-fright didn’t manifest in the two occasions where I hogged the lectern.
Since it was my first time to speak before an unfamiliar audience (Luzonians) I didn’t bother picking the right words, or tweaking what needs to be tweaked. I thought, “This isn’t Visayas or Mindanao, I don’t an image yet to protect." So I channeled my sour-self and proceeded to the podium.

Since it was extemporaneous, I set my phone to its recording mode and recorded my two speeches to find out how well or how bad I performed.

The first one that I delivered was for a literature class, so I thought mushy and flowery words would come in handy. But when I reviewed it, I realized I sucked big-time.

The second one, I presented in a freshmen orientation class. I didn’t know they have this also. It was rather spontaneous, the professor kept signaling me to wrap it up.

(This is the transcribed-unedited copy of the impromptu performance so forgive the errors. But of course I've already deleted my usual fillers of ‘like’, ‘uh’, ‘y’know’, etc.)

(to be concluded…)

No comments: