Friday, December 01, 2006

Scream, Weep, Free (Part 3)

I reached into my pocket and drew out a box of cigarette. I took out a stick, and put it between my lips.

Without looking, I handed him the box. Again I sunk my hand into my pocket and fished out my lighter. I looked at it for awhile, wondered if it was really my lighter, or if I picked up a wrong one at the bar. Mine was green; the one I was holding was red. Oh well, I mumbled, and flicked it.

I aimed hard, and managed to light the wrong end of the stick.

“Ai, punieta!” I moaned. We laughed. “Beh (Let me)!” He said, snatching the lighter and lighting my cigarette. Puffing away, we sat down quietly.

“Grabe no? So depressing, life.” I said, breaking the silence.

“Know what Lyle, you’re better than that, you don’t deserve this. But, you know, shit happens. Di ba, you always tell me ‘it doesn’t fuckin’ matter how many fuckin’ times you fuckin’ fall, but rising after every fuckin’ stumble?” He responded;

I just smiled, and tapped his back.

“Let’s go?” I said. “The dorm will be closing in five minutes. I’m sure the penguin’s inside her office by now, waiting for the latecomers."

Impersonating the dorm matron, he croaked, “Asa na man pud ka gikan Lyle? Hubog na pud ka!? Imo na pud gi-impluwensiya si Alix!” (Where have you been Lyle? You’re drunk again!? And you even brought Alex with you!)

We laughed again.

“To infinity and beyond…” hoisting his left hand, he howled
.
Curling my lips to a smile, I replied “Your friendly neighborhood Spiderman…”

No comments: