Monday, December 04, 2006

So Freakin' What!? (Part 3)

Second speech: freshmen orientation
State of mind: annoyed; combative and eager to annihilate everyone

Wardrobe: a Ramones t-shirt, tattered pants, and a pair of old-school shoes
Title: So What!?


I am Dan Adriatico, ** years old, raised in a rather dysfunctional family, and have attended 4 universities.

I headed three organizations in my previous school, so maybe people liked me and I would like to think that I am friendly. I am a proud Bisaya and am not yet comfortable and fluent with Tagalog. Yes it’s shameful but I’m slowly learning.

I have acknowledged the idea that some people are prejudice and discriminatory towards us provincial folks, nonetheless I don’t really care for I know that in certain domains, we are better.

Our household is, to a certain extent, unusual. My dad sustains four families, including ours; but we’re the original. My mom’s a guidance counselor and a social worker, not your ordinary day job. My sister earns more than my mom. My brother doesn’t look like the rest of us. And I, on the other hand, am the black sheep.

Like most teenagers, I have past, a dismal one. I was a troubled youth, an alcoholic, rebellious and disturbed. I even made an attempt to take my own life, four times!

Many people thought that I live a wonderful life because I never leave my room without my smile properly in place. I was an achiever; have a loving family, had tons of friends; I am not intellectually inferior, my family is not underprivileged, I live in comfort, it was almost perfect.

But they didn’t know, I was not happy. Kurt Cobain murdered himself not because nobody loved him, but because everyone did. No, I’m not saying everyone loved me, I just thought the line’s cool.

(to be concluded...)

No comments: